Thomas Jefferson and the New Nation: A Biography (Galaxy Books) Review

Thomas Jefferson and the New Nation: A Biography (Galaxy Books)
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Are you looking to buy Thomas Jefferson and the New Nation: A Biography (Galaxy Books)? Here is the right place to find the great deals. we can offer discounts of up to 90% on Thomas Jefferson and the New Nation: A Biography (Galaxy Books). Check out the link below:

>> Click Here to See Compare Prices and Get the Best Offers

Thomas Jefferson and the New Nation: A Biography (Galaxy Books) ReviewFor people who have recently become interested in the Founding Fathers and are interested in Thomas Jefferson, this is the book to read. I had just read Chernow's Hamilton and Ellis' Sphinx and several other recently written books on the Founding Fathers, and almost all of them had bad things to say about Jefferson. So much so that I really began to wonder how it came to be that Jefferson had gained such a great reputation. Why is his name revered???
Finally, I found a book that unabashedly took Jefferson's point of view on every single issue, which was refreshing. It balanced the lopsided information I had been receiving, though, knowing what I knew, I could also see where Peterson was possibly stretching things, such as portraying Jefferson as anti-slavery....Though at least I heard the rebuttal to Jefferson's pro-slavery leanings. Jefferson clearly couldn't have made the USA all by himself, as Hamilton could have, but Jefferson was clearly an important part of the picture.
One reservation I had going into the book is that the Jefferson papers were really just in the middle of being editted at Princeton University when the book was written in 1970. I was concerned that this edition may be lacking important information. It may have, but for an enthusiast like myself, the knowledge available in 1970, when the book was written, by the Thomas Jefferson Foundation Professor at the University of Virginia, was good enough.
The book, in short, is still considered the gold-standard biography of Jefferson, in addition to the six volume Dumas Malone work, which is simply too long. The book is very easy to read. The most interesting sections were on Jefferson's time in the Virginia legislature and as Governor of Virginia during the Revolutionary War, the leadup negotiation to and effects of the Louisiana Purchase, and the Burr conspiracy, in which the former Vice President to Jefferson tried to head up a break-away republic in the newly-purchased Louisiana purchase territory with him at the head.
The book is definitely long, just a few pages of text over 1000 pages, the longest book I had ever read, but the material is great. There's tons of quotes and source material written in the book, as one would expect from an author who had dedicated his entire life to Jefferson. There's an earlier book by Peterson, "The Image of Jefferson" which actually answers the question of how Jefferson has been portrayed throughout our history, which sounds fascinating. Jefferson's image is tarnished right now, but in prior eras, he was looked up to as a beacon of hope. I plan to read that one at some point, but, after 1000 pages of stright TJ, I need a break.
Just one other note, the second section "Philosopher of the Revolution", should really by re-read after you finish the book. You'll understand what Peterson is talking about better. You'll enjoy the book, all 1000 pages of it!Thomas Jefferson and the New Nation: A Biography (Galaxy Books) Overview

Want to learn more information about Thomas Jefferson and the New Nation: A Biography (Galaxy Books)?

>> Click Here to See All Customer Reviews & Ratings Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment